Are you expecting your first child? Well I am so I asked a bunch of my friends and family for their input and put together this list of 10 tips for first time moms. I know there are so many things that I don’t know and want to be prepared and have a good idea of what to expect. I also know many people have been in my position before me, so why not get some advice from the most experienced experts? If you are still pregnant make sure you check out my 16 must have pregnancy items post.
1. Don’t let others tell you how to parent – This one came up a lot, so take parenting advice others give you with a grain of salt. Everyone does things differently and just because someone voices their opinions doesn’t mean you have to do what they say, follow your gut.
2. RELAX – Many new first time moms are stressed out everything they don’t know about children, or babies specifically. You’ll figure it all out as you go.
3. Ask for help – Do you have friends and family that are offering to help you? Take them up on it, whether it is watching the baby while you take a nap, or bringing your family much needed meals in those first few weeks home that are such a big adjustment.
4. Don’t compare your child to other children – All children are different, therefore they grow and change and hit milestones at different ages. That does not mean anything is wrong with your child if they take longer than other children.
5. Make sure you have these essential nursery items – Being prepared with these items for your little one will make your life a lot easier when you are adjusting to becoming a parent.
6. Discipline – Make sure you start early with this one, it’s very hard to implement once your children are used to a certain parenting style. But, no matter how old they are – give them some responsibilities and hold them to it. You want to raise responsible children, so they turn into responsible adults.
7. None of us have it all figured out – Every parent is learning as they go, nobody does everything perfect! Don’t be surprised if you feel like you are failing as a mother, and know that means you aren’t. Everyone feels like this once in a while just make sure you don’t start to believe it.
8. Make time for yourself – This is extremely important and necessary for you to feel like you are still yourself. If that means putting baby in the bouncer and letting them cry it out so you can take a shower, do it. They will survive and you’ll feel so much better. It’s amazing how a shower can make you feel.
9. Don’t clean during babies nap time – SLEEP if you can, if you can’t, rest! Until baby is sleeping through the night there is no reason to clean while baby is sleeping during the day if you aren’t getting enough rest at night. Your health is much more important than a clean house.
10. Cherish EVERY moment – You don’t have to be a mom to know this is true in life, but it is especially true when you are raising children. Some days you may want to scream or pull your hair out but with the right perspective you will realize even these days will be missed later. Try to step back and really cherish every moment – the peaceful and the challenging.Make sure to follow Artsy Mama Bear on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram, or subscribe to our Weekly Newsletter! :) This post may contain affiliate links, read our Disclosure Policy for more information.